Thursday, March 29, 2012

The Educators Network (TEN) Reading Workshop

The Educators Network (TEN) Reading Workshop took place last Saturday, March 31st, at Lincoln Community School, Accra, Ghana. Seven reading workshops were given by ten presenters, see below, for 140 teachers from local Ghanaian schools.
The theme of the workshop was, 'Reading: The Key Element in Academic Achievement'. I chose to present a workshop on Literature Circles, as was told this is not something that is usually done in Ghanaian schools and might be of interest to teachers of Upper Elementary and Middle School teachers.


In preparation for the workshop I made two videos of my class which I showed during the day.

I asked my class why we did Literature Circles? This is what they said:




Here is a glimpse of some of my students taking part in Literature Circles/Book Clubs:



Here is the presentation I gave during the workshop and some of the resources I handed out:


Here are some scenes from the day!



Many thanks to Naami Oddoye and Sylvia Ampofo who organised this excellent event. The feedback from the participants was very encouraging and hopefully the Educators Network will be able to put on more workshops over the coming months for local teachers.

No comments:

Post a Comment